Saturday, November 23, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Refrigerator/Overnight Oats + Coffee Talk

Refrigerator oats are one of my all-time favorite breakfast meals! They are something easy and quick I can prepare the night before and just grab in the morning. They also satisfy my super strong sweet tooth. They can be made in many different ways with different toppings, including fresh fruit. For this variation I have added fresh strawberries and strawberry preserves for a fun twist. Here's what you'll need:


Also forgot to include this ingredient wih the rest of the group, so it gets its own picture. It's also pretty awesome and I use it a lot:


1 cup milk of choice (I use vanilla unsweetened almond milk)
1 cup 0% fat unflavored Greek yogurt
1 cup uncooked oats 
1 tablespoon of honey

About 4 strawberries, diced
3 teaspoons of low sugar strawberry preserves 

First you will mix the first four ingredients together. 


When finished it should look something like this:


Then divide the mixture into three equal parts (factors out to a little over 2/3 cup per serving). I use Tupperware to store, but you may use mason jars with lids if you have them. 


Cut up your strawberries and divide them evenly among the three servings. 



Add a tablespoon of the strawberry preserves to each serving. 


Mix it all together. 


Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. And in the morning you have a delicious breakfast to enjoy!

This recipe does have a fairly high amount of sugar, but it's not out of hand. To give you a comparison i try to limit myself to about 30g of sugar a day. I would just recommend watching the rest of your sugar intake for the day. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! I'm looking forward to eating this in the morning. Give it a try! Let me know what you think!

Nutritional Info:

Without toppings (I.e., no strawberries or preserves):

177 calories
2.5g fat
21g carbohydrates 
3g fiber 
9g sugar 
12g protein 

With toppings (strawberries and preserves):

208 calories
15.5g sugar 
The rest of the info is pretty much the same. 

Now for some coffee talk. A lot of people unknowingly sabotage themselves with their daily coffee, but drinking coffee doesn't have to hinder your weight loss. Coffee itself is actually pretty healthy and has benefits. It's the things that we add into coffee that make it bad for us. Those flavored creamers that are so delicious and make our coffees so creamy are high in sugar and fat. And let's not even get to restaurant lattes! I now use healthier alternatives with my coffee. It's not the same, but I still enjoy it! My recommendations: stevia or truvia in place of sugar, unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of creamer, and the fat free powdered creamer. I also enjoy flavored coffee. That allows you to get the hint of flavor without the extra calories. Hope that helps!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely be trying this oatmeal recipe, sounds yummy! I looove coffee but I use the sugarfree creamy chocolate creamer and it tastes great that way as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Be careful with sugar free! Sometimes it can be full of fat. I love Coffee as well, so I had to figure out how to make it work with my healthier lifestyle!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm from the forum as well. Totally going to try this this weekend. Loving the blog so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! Welcome! Please let me know what you think!!

      Delete