Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's Next?




As I sat down and began planning out my blog and future posts I tried to think about the order in which I wanted to begin sharing information. So I started thinking about how I started on my journey and figured that would be the best way to go. 

Back in January 2013 when I started my weight loss journey I decided that I would start by drastically changing my eating habits. I began doing a lot of research on clean eating and decided that I wanted to try it. Clean eating means different things to many people, but to ME eating clean means avoiding any processed foods. Sticking with the basics: fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, dairy, grains (rice, quinoa, pasta). 

I also began calorie counting. Many people hate the idea of counting calories, but I think it is very important to keep track of what you are putting into your body, especially at the beginning of your journey. A lot of us don't know how to eat properly and it's shocking to some when they find out how they should REALLY be eating. I recommend using My Fitness Pal. It's very convenient and also has an app for your phone.


Eventually I began keeping track of my macros, or macronutrients, which to me is just a fancy term to describe keeping track of the specific amounts of fats, carbs, proteins, sugar, fiber, etc. that you consume on a daily basis. I basically try to stick to a low fat, high protein, low sugar diet. 


I highly recommend paying attention to macros, especially when you experience a plateau. A lot of people make the mistake of focusing on calories and forget that you should also be paying attention to how much sugar, fat, and carbs you eat. As I've said before I am not a nutritionist so I don't know much about the topic, but I do know that it's worth looking into. 

The next few blog posts will focus on some of my favorite clean and healthy recipes that I personally use on a regular basis. All recipes will include macros and pictures. I hope that you give them a try and add them to your meal rotation! Most recipes will be easy on the wallet and include cheap ingredients that you can buy in most places. No fancy or weird ingredients that you can't find or pronounce. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment